> Home > Scottsdale Police Department > Police Public Information and Events > Why Was My Vehicle Towed > Frequently Asked Questions About 30 Day Impounds

Frequently Asked Questions About 30 Day Impounds


See the "Claiming Your Vehicle" link for early release, and post 30 day release, information.


Can I use a Power of Attorney to allow someone else to get my vehicle out of impound BEFORE the 30 days has expired?
No. The Power of Attorney can only be used AFTER the 30 days has expired, and the person using it must have a valid driver's license and provide all other required documents.  See "Claiming Your Vehicle" for a list of documents.

It is after the 30 day impound period and my driver’s license is still suspended. Is there a way I can get my vehicle out of impound even if I can’t drive it?
Yes, you may use a Limited Power of Attorney. See the "Claiming Your Vehicle" link.

I am out of the state, or out of the country, and cannot return to get the vehicle out.  May I use a Power of Attorney after the 30 days has expired so someone else can get the vehicle for me?
Yes, you may use a Limited Power of Attorney after the 30 days has expired.  An early release can only be granted to the registered owner, so if they are not in the state, you must wait for the 30 days to expire and then use the Power of Attorney. See the "Claiming Your Vehicle" link.

If I transfer ownership or add a new person or company onto the registration, can they get the car out early?
No.  If ownership is changed during the impound period, this will require the vehicle to be held in impound for the full 30 days and then released to the new owner AFTER the 30 days has expired.   

What if I own the vehicle but have not yet transferred the title into my name? If the vehicle was not registered to you at the time it was impounded, and you put the title in your name after the impound, the vehicle will only be released to you AFTER the 30 days has expired. If you sell, transfer title, or add a new person on the registration after your vehicle is impounded, the vehicle will remain impounded for the full 30 days due to the change in ownership.   

My car was involved in a collision and, due to damage, it is not drivable.  Does it still have to have a valid registration before the police can release it?
Yes. A current vehicle registration or a valid salvage or dismantle certificate of title is required by law. Contact the motor vehicle division for more information.

What will happen if I cannot claim my vehicle?
Under Arizona law the towing company must file for an abandoned title and seek ownership of the vehicle if it is left at the tow yard unclaimed for more than ten (10) days AFTER THE 30 DAYS HAS EXPIRED. On the 41st day of impound they must apply for abandoned title, and it will take some time for that to be granted by MVD. However, if you have difficulty in paying for the towing and storage, you should contact the towing company as soon as possible if you wish to retain ownership of your vehicle.

What if I only have a driver’s license from another country?
Your license will be accepted provided it is valid in your country of domicile AND your privilege to drive in Arizona has not been suspended.  Presentation of a fraudulent license is a crime.

What if someone other than the owner was driving the vehicle when it was impounded?
The owner of the vehicle is responsible for paying all fees and charges in order to have the vehicle released. If someone else was driving, you may have to seek civil action against the driver for any expenses you incur as a result of the impound.

Would I still have to pay fees and charges if the vehicle is released early to me?
Yes, the owner is still liable for administrative charges and all towing and storage fees up to the actual date of release.

At the end of the 30-days, can I just go to the towing company and get my vehicle?
No, the towing company is not allowed to release an impounded vehicle without paperwork from the Scottsdale Police Department. You must follow the process listed in "Claiming Your Vehicle".

If I am found "not guilty" on my criminal or traffic charges will that affect the impound of my vehicle?
No. The impound is based on the probable cause the Officer had at the time the vehicle was impounded.

The police towed my vehicle and I believe it was towed in error.  Who do I talk with about that?
If you believe an error was made, and the vehicle should not have been impounded, go to the "Request a Hearing" link and follow the instructions to see if you qualify for a hearing. 
Except for properly reported stolen vehicles, or improperly impounded vehicles, the vehicle owner is responsible for all fees relating to the impoundment, including vehicles eligible for early release.

Providing false or misleading information is a crime and the Offender will be prosecuted.

If you have not been able to get the information you need from the website, you may contact the Hearing Officer at 480-312-5314 between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Monday through Friday for further information.

Police Motto