> Home > Emergency Preparedness > Utility Outages

Utility Outages

What SHOULD I do if I lose power?

  • Check to see if your neighbors have lost power. If not, try resetting your circuit breaker.
  • Using a cell phone or a neighbor's phone, report a power outage to SRP at (602) 236-8888 or APS (602) 371-7171.
  • Turn off all lights and major appliances - including computers, air conditioners/heaters, TVs and VCRs.
  • Use flashlights instead of candles.
  • When the power returns, wait a few minutes before turning on lights and appliances. Then do so one at a time.

What if I'm driving during a power outage?

  • If you are driving during a power outage and you encounter a dark, nonfunctional traffic signal, treat it as a four-way stop. Yield to the right-of-way, then proceed with extreme caution.

What should I look for if my home is damaged in a disaster?

  • Check for gas leaks. If you smell gas, open a window and leave the building.  Turn off the gas at the outside main valve if you can and call the gas company from a neighbor's home. If you turn off the gas for any reason, it must be turned back on by a professional.
  • Look for electrical system damage, indicated by sparks, frayed or broken wires, or the smell of hot insulation. Turn off the electricity at the main fuse box or circuit breaker if the area is dry. Otherwise, call an electrician.
  • Check for sewage and water lines damage. If you suspect sewage lines are damaged, avoid using the toilets and call a plumber. If water pipes are damaged, contact the city's water department (or your water company) and avoid using water from the tap.

Where can I get more information?

APS  602-371-7171 www.aps.com Not part of City of Scottsdale web site
SRP 602-236-8888 www.srpnet.com Not part of City of Scottsdale web site
Southwest Gas 1-888-515-5166 www.swgas.com Not part of City of Scottsdale web site
City of Scottsdale Water Operations  480-312-5650