Escort, Escort Assistants and Escort Bureaus Ordinance (Proposed Update)The proposed changes will allow the city to clarify ordinance language and strengthen the integrity and professionalism of the industry.
The Scottsdale City Council will decide whether to adopt the ordinance update at its Tuesday, June 4, meeting. It begins at 5 p.m. in the City Hall Kiva, 3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd. You can access that evening's City Council agenda (which includes details about this item) on this website closer to the meeting date.
Highlights of the proposed changes:
- Edited to eliminate inconsistencies and add clarity
- Complete overhaul, reorganization and updating from original ordinance of 1988
- Added findings of detrimental secondary effects from escort operations, including health risks and violent crimes
- Revised definitions, adding escort assistant, as a person who provides scheduling, driving, security and other services to escorts
- Eliminated the requirement that escorts work for a licensed escort bureau, to regulate escorts without an official business affiliation
- Added permit requirements for escort assistants to regulate persons who provide scheduling, driving, security and other services to escorts, without an official business affiliation
- Added the limitation that no permit or license can be issued to a person convicted of sexual misconduct with a child in the ten years before the permit or license application is filed
- Clarified and increased the limitation that no permit or license can be issued to a person convicted of prostitution in the ten years before the permit or license application is filed
- Expanded citizen and authorization to work requirements to all applicants, and all managers and controlling persons of applicants
- Provided for city forms for required record-keeping, to limit issues of incomplete records
- Raised some fees for permits and licenses, and specified fees for fingerprinting
- Added requirement to post City permit/license number on all escort advertising anticipated to attract business in the City.
- Expanded list of violations to address illegal sexual services provided by illegitimate escorts
- Added mandatory jail time for persons convicted of certain violations of the ordinance
Proposed Ordinance (pdf/280kb/9pp)
Proposed Fee Schedule
Email: Terry Hoglund, Tax & License Manager
- Call: 480-312-2463
- Write: City of Scottsdale, 7447 E. Indian School Road, Scottsdale, AZ 85251, ATTN: Terry Hoglund, Tax and License
If no major issues are notes, this ordinance will be presented to the City Council this spring.
Please check this website for updates.