Scottsdale Police Department Grooming Standards Policy
- Do not exhibit tattoos that are obscene, sexual, racial, or religiously discriminatory.
- Excessive visible tattoos are prohibited. Excessive is defined as:
- Covering 1/3 or more of an exposed body part.
- Visible on the hands or face.
Visible above the collarbone with an open collared shirt, (including the back and side of the neck and head).
- Command staff personnel have final discretion when determining the appropriateness of exposed tattoos.
Conservative jewelry may be worn when appropriate to the assignment and
when it does not create a safety risk.
- Employees are prohibited from wearing excessively large earrings to include, large loop earrings, long dangling earrings and ear gauges.
- Visible holes in earlobes caused by wearing ear gauges are prohibited.
- Male employees cannot wear earrings while in uniform or while representing the department in a traditional investigative or administrative assignment. Uniformed female personnel may wear one pair of stud earrings.
- Command staff personnel retain final discretion when determining the appropriateness of ear jewelry.
- Piercing of visible body parts, other than those written in this policy, is prohibited.
- Uniformed employees will not wear more than three rings.