Special public art debut begins the countdown to Scottsdale’s 60th anniversary
Apr. 20, 2011
Contact: Kim Hanna, Economic Vitality: (480) 312-7612
Special public art debut begins the countdown to
Scottsdale’s 60th anniversary
On April 25, Mayor W.J. “Jim” Lane will debut the Scottsdale Gem Wall -- an interactive public art display created by the city’s 60th Anniversary Committee, Scottsdale Public Art and the city of Scottsdale. The debut is the official kick-off of 60 days of celebration that will lead up to Scottsdale’s 60th anniversary on June 25.
The debut and kickoff event will be at 1 p.m. Monday, April 25 in the Kiva at Scottsdale City Hall (3939 N. Drinkwater Blvd.).
There are 60 bandanas on the Scottsdale Gem Wall, each folded with a message celebrating Scottsdale inside. During the celebration, bandanas will be removed and the messages read.
Also at the April 25 kick-off celebration, Mayor Lane will join Scott Yarosh, local soda brew master, to pour some special “Scottsdale 60 Sarsaparilla,” which has been custom brewed for the celebration.
The culmination of festivities will be June 25 with a community birthday party as well as an evening celebration at the W Scottsdale. Dozens of community events will be part of the community celebration. Here are few notables:
- Scottsdale cowboy history and poetry night – hear cowboy tales & prose at Troon North
- Frontier Town Days - western entertainment, cooking demonstrations and a thief’s market & sidewalk sale in Old Town Scottsdale
- Zap! Pow! Bam! Costume Ball – celebrate the history of pop art in Scottsdale
- Amazing Race Family Scavenger Hunt – be the first to find Scottsdale’s interesting places
- History of the Scottsdale Art District – learn about this world-famous art destination
- Mayor and Council Breakfast & Scottsdale’s Birthday Party – hosted by the Mayor and City Council
- The Grand Soiree for Scottsdale's 60th Birthday – at the W Scottsdale
Learn more and see the full list of events at www.Scottsdale60.com.