Extra focus in April on sexual assault awareness and child abuse prevention
March 30, 2011
Contact: Sgt. Mark Clark, public information officer, (480) 312-1900;
Extra focus in April on sexual assault awareness
and child abuse prevention
Two important campaigns kick off in April -- Sexual Assault Awareness and Child Abuse Prevention months.
The Scottsdale Family Advocacy Center uses a community-oriented, collaborative approach to investigate domestic violence, adult and child physical or sexual abuse cases.
Representatives from the center will be at various events and locations in April to provide information and resources about sexual assault awareness and child abuse prevention. The schedule is:
• Take Back the Night – 5 to 8:30 p.m. Saturday, April 1, Conspire Café, 901 N. 5th St., Phoenix: In conjunction with “First Fridays” Rally, residents are invited to share stories, honor survivorship and shatter the silence of violence.
• Family Day at the Capitol – 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursday, April 7, 1700 W. Washington St., Phoenix.
• Shredding Event – 8 to 11 a.m. Thursday, April 7, Scottsdale Bible Church, 7601 E. Shea Blvd.
• Fashion Square Mall Kiosk – 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays, April 13 & 20, 7014 E. Camelback Road.
• Shredding Event – 8 to 11 a.m. Saturday, April 16, Bashas’ at Grayhawk, Scottsdale Road and Greyhawk
• Paiute Parent Symposium, Familias Sanas y Seguras – 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, April 26, Paiute Neighborhood Center, 6535 E. Osborn Road.
About Sexual Assault: Sexual assault affects one of six Americans – mostly women, equating to 17.7 million victims of attempted or completed sexual assault. And that’s only the half of it. It’s estimated that about 60 percent of victims do not report these crimes.
About Child Abuse: A child abuse report is made every 10 seconds – that adds up to more than 3 million reports of child abuse annually in the United States. And the reports may be largely underestimated because one report can include multiple children.
Learn more about the Family Advocacy Center and available resources and tips at www.ScottsdaleAZ.gov/assistance/fac.