|1. What are the minimum qualifications for the position of Firefighter-Recruit with the City of Scottsdale?
- At least 18 years of age at time of testing
- High school diploma or GED
- Possess current Arizona EMT Certification prior to start of Firefighter-Recruit Academy (Basic, Intermediate, or Paramedic)
- College coursework that includes any combination of fire fighting, EMS and academic subjects is preferred
- Possess a valid Arizona motor vehicle operator's license at time of hire.
- Agree to abstain from using any tobacco products, on or off duty, for entire employment period.
2. How can I be notified about employment opportunities with the City of Scottsdale?
City of Scottsdale Human Resources manages an email subscription service for job announcements. Learn more or to sign up for this service here.
3. Can I apply for a position if I don't have my EMT certification?
All Firefighter-Recruits will now need to present proof of their EMT certification at teh time of applicaiton. An EMT certification is considered a minimum qualification to apply in our next hiring process.
4. What if I'm an out-of-state EMT?
In addition to starting the testing process with Scottsdale Fire, you need to work toward attaining National Registry certification. That will greatly aid you in your goal of becoming certified in the State of Arizona. Please visit the Arizona Department of Health Services Bureau of Emergency Medical Services for more information. Frequently asked questions (including out-of-state issues) can be found at the following Arizona Department of Health Services Web site.
5. What are the benefits of City of Scottsdale employment?
Get benefits information here.
6. What are the essential functions of a Firefighter-Recruit?
Get the job description for Firefighter Recruit here (pdf/3mb/2pp).
7. Does the City of Scottsdale Fire Department accept lateral transfers?
No. All newly hired Firefighter-Recruits will begin their employment with our Firefighter-Recruit Academy, regardless of past work experience. We encourage all interested applicants to apply based on the above minimum qualification criteria.
8. What if I have a criminal record?
Your record will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.