Scottsdale Museum of the West
The Scottsdale’s Museum of the West is under construction at the Northwest corner of Marshall Way at First Street.
The museum site is in the heart of Scottsdale's historic downtown. This area is home to the Gallery and Old Town Districts, known for their arts and cultural amenities, historic buildings, retail and dining establishments. It is situated adjacent to the current Loloma Transit Center. This project will enhance and utilize the currently abandoned transit center.
Scottsdale’s Museum of the West will be constructed and owned by the City of Scottsdale, and operated by the nonprofit “Museum of the West” organization. The Museum’s Board of Directors has entered into a development and operating agreement with the City of Scottsdale to participate fully in the planning and development of the project, and upon completion become its sole operator.
Centered near the heart of downtown this Museum will create a perfect partnership with the arts district galleries, studios, dining and shopping venues directly to the north and throughout the Downtown area.
The project represents a unique opportunity for the City of Scottsdale to attract national and international prominence as a tourism capital through the success of a municipally funded development of a significant portion of the downtown area.
The goal of this project is to create a synergistic museum and exhibition venue that will:
- Become world renowned museum displaying cultural and artistic artifacts and exhibits displaying the meeting of the “Old West with the New West”
- Provide an enriched visitor attraction that will expand the current number of tourists visiting Scottsdale, thereby expanding Scottsdale’s tourism industry.
- Provide an additional venue for tourists and visitors already enjoying Scottsdale, and give them another cultural opportunity.
- Augment and support an already world renowned fine arts district
- Grow into a focal point for an enriched Cultural Center for the arts district
- Energize and enrich an area of the City now abandoned as a transit center underutilized as a public venue.
- Provide synergy with the Scottsdale Artist School, offering opportunities for collaboration in educational activities and programs.
- Augment and support an already rich and diverse, mixed use residential and retail area.